There’s no need for bland snacks here, add some volcanic flavour to your chutney by brewing this hot tomato jam recipe.
Prep Time: Less than 30 mins
Cooking Time: 1-2 hours
Serves: 4 Jars
2 red onions
400g/14oz ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
400g/14oz ripe plum tomatoes, quartered
1 ½ – 2 teaspoons Original Hot Diggidy Dog sauce (taste to preference)
5cm/2in piece fresh root ginger, grated
1 star anise
250ml/10 ½ oz white wine vinegar
300g/10 ½ oz soft light brown sugar
2 teaspoon soy suace
1. Sterilise the jars. Wash in very hot water or on the hot cycle of a dishwasher.
2. Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3
3. Place the jars upside down on a baking tray and dry in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
4. Heat the red onion and chopped tomatoes in a large heavy-based saucepan over a low heat.
5. Add the Hot Diggidy sauce, ginger, star anise, vinegar and sugar.
6. Bring the mixture to the boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes, or until very thick and you can draw a wooden spoon across the base of the pan so that it leaves a channel behind it that does not immediately fill with liquid.
7. Add the soy sauce and cook for 2-3 more minutes, then spoon into sterilised jars.